Third Generation (Continued)
Family of Herbert Newton JARRETT III (5) & Maria BERNERS
27. Herbert Newton JARRETT V (Herbert Newton2, Herbert Newton1). Born on 22 Mar 1797 in Woolverstone, Suffolk. Herbert Newton died in Milnthorpe, Winchester, on 30 Jun 1879; he was 82. Buried in Winchester cemetery. Education: Westminster; St John’s College, Cambridge. Residence/Property: Orange Valley, Jamaica; Milnthorpe, Winchester.
On 27 Aug 1835 when Herbert Newton was 38, he married Jane TURNBULL, daughter of John TURNBULL. Jane died on 5 Oct 1881 in Milnthorpe, Winchester.
They had the following children:
Herbert Newton VI (1836-1836)
Herbert Newton VII (1837-1894)
Charles Berners (1838-1889)
Maria Georgina (1841-1906)
Alice Jane (1846-1926)

The photo of Herbert Newton Jarrett V (above, from WJK’s “Jarrett Book”) suggests an attractively benign character, with an engaging twinkle in his eye.

According to WJK, after coming down from Cambridge, the young Herbert Newton Jarrett did a classic Grand Tour, travelling “a great deal on the Continent, accompanied by his friend and tutor, the Rev. Mark Vernon, a gentleman much respected and liked by all the family.”

Then he seems to have been despatched to Jamaica, where he stayed until he was 32. His father joined him there at the beginning of 1829 - it is worth bearing in mind that these were the years leading up to the abolition of slavery in 1833-4, with all the changes that entailed for every sector of Jamaican society and the island’s economy. And it was in Jamaica that his father unexpectedly died later on that year.

WJK continues that, after this father’s death, Herbert Newton Jarrett “left the island for England on 22 December 1829.” Then, when “the [English] affairs of the late Mr H.N. Jarrett [his father] were settled ... he returned to Jamaica and took into his own hands the management of Orange Valley Estate. This he did not at all wish to do, the responsibility being so very great, but his cousin William Mitchell Kerr [WJK’s father, who at that time lived in Jamaica and managed the Jarrett properties as attorney] insisted on his doing so, saying that if he [W.M. Kerr] continued in the management he would be robbing him, and that he was quite competent to look after his own estate - this Mr Jarrett himself told the Compiler.”

Herbert Newton Jarrett was in Jamaica at the time of the so-called Baptist War - a slave uprising around Christmas and New Year 1831-2 - during which he “served as Lieutenant of the Artillery Company of the Trelawny Regiment of Militia.” The great house at Orange Valley was, apparently, “one of the few residences that escaped conflagration during that time”. Herbert Newton Jarrett left the island for the last time on 5 June 1835, having presumably established his properties on a secure footing in the new post-Abolition order.

On his return to England, by now aged 38, he settled down with evident relief to the life of an English country gentleman, able at last to indulge his passion for hunting, shooting and fishing. He married, he and his wife living first in at Codford St Peter, Wiltshire, “the chief attraction of that place being its excellent trout fishing”. Later, they moved to Bathampton House, near Wylie, where they stayed for 33 years as tenants and brought up their children, who like their father were “all addicted to field sports, especially fox hunting”.

“In 1870 the family left the old home with many feelings of regret” - possibly because its owners wanted it back again - and “Mr Jarrett purchased a small property in the environs of Winchester, known as Milnthorpe23, [where] he and his wife resided until their respective deaths.

“The Compiler from childhood had the pleasure of knowing both Mr and Mrs Jarrett well, [and] their great kindness and hospitality will ever be held in affectionate remembrance by him.”
28. Maria Catherine JARRETT (Herbert Newton2, Herbert Newton1). Born on 11 Jan 1799. Maria Catherine died on 28 Aug 1867; she was 68.
In Jun 1816 when Maria Catherine was 17, she married John PENRICE, son of Thomas PENRICE. Born on 4 Jun 1787. John died in 1844; he was 56. Occupation: Captain, 15th Hussars. Residence/Property: Great Yarmouth; Witton House, Norfolk.
They had the following children:
Major John JP, DL (1818-1892)
Maria Catherine (1821-1887)
Isabella (1824-1880)
Emma Vernon (1826-)
Julia (1829-)
Fountaine Jones (1833-1843)

Maria Catherine Jarrett’s father-in-law, Thomas Penrice, had an interesting story. He was a surgeon in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, who became a close friend of the wealthy 4th and last Lord Chedworth. According to Collins’s Peerage (1815), this Lord Chedworth was “a man of most reclusive habits, and eccentric character, but of some minor pretensions to literature, who spent his time at an house in Ipswich: and dying unmarried October 29th, 1804, aged fifty, divided his large property by a peculiar will ... among strangers; particularly his lawyer and his apothecary.”

Not surprisingly, Lord Chedworth’s relatives objected to the arrangement. They tried to contest the will by proving that the late peer had been insane, but failed. Thomas Penrice, the fortunate surgeon-apothecary, inherited the bulk of the fortune - at least £300,00024 - and seems to have put it to good use. A later source describes him as a man who had “been blessed with a natural strong mind improved by a good education ... [He] made considerable attainment in the study of history and the belles letters. In music he was an adept, and to the polite arts he was much attached. Of his knowledge in the latter, his Rubens, Titians, Gaidos, Wouvermanns, Ostade, &c will ever bear respectable testimony.”25 At least one item from his art collection, “Peasants Dancing and Feasting” by David Teniers the Younger, which Penrice bought in 1811, now belongs to a major world gallery, New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art.26

Shortly after the Penrice family’s sudden accession to wealth, Thomas’s eldest son, John, joined the King’s Regiment of Light Dragoons, which later became the King’s Regiment of Hussars. He took part in Sir John Moore’s Corunna campaign in Spain in 1808-09, where he saw plenty of action under Lord Paget, later 1st Marquess of Anglesey. During the retreat to Corunna, John Penrice was “taken ill with a fever” (WJK tells us) and “had to be left behind near Villafranca”. He “fell into the hands of the French under Marshal Soult, who sent him to Verdun, in France, where he was detained a prisoner of war for several years.” He seems to have been released by 1813, when he became a captain, “and retired from the service about the latter part of the year 1815.”

The next year, John Penrice married Maria Catherine Jarrett, whose family were then living at Hobland Hall, just outside Great Yarmouth - his father, Thomas Penrice, died later the same year. John and Maria Catherine Penrice lived for a number of years at Hobland Hall, where, according to WJK, “most of their children were born”. Later, after “the death of Captain Penrice’s mother, for a short time they lived at Great Yarmouth, he having succeeded to the house there that was built by his father. Soon after this, Captain Penrice purchased Witton House, near Norwich, as a summer residence.” John Penrice died in 1844, and his widow “continued to live at Witton with her unmarried daughters till the time of her death.

“The life of Mrs Penrice, though perhaps uneventful, was on the whole a very happy one. She was called to her rest on 28 August 1867, in the 68th year of her age, mourned for by her children and numerous friends.”
29. Alicia JARRETT (Herbert Newton2, Herbert Newton1). Born on 28 Oct 1800 in Barningham Hall, Norfolk. Alicia died on 2 Nov 1861; she was 61.
On 24 May 1843 when Alicia was 42, she married Rev. Peter BLACKBURN. Peter died in Feb 1866.

WJK: After her mother’s death in 1831, when Alicia Jarrett was 31, she “resided with her brother, the Rev. Wilfred Lawson Jarrett, till he married in 1839. After this, she lived at South Walsham, near Norwich, and in 1843 married the Rev. Peter Blackburn, Rector of Steeple Langford, near Salisbury.” WJK adds, without explanation, that her “life cannot be said to have been altogether a happy one.”
30. Rev. Wilfred Lawson JARRETT (Herbert Newton2, Herbert Newton1). Born on 6 Jul 1803 in Barningham Hall, Norfolk. Wilfred Lawson died on 18 May 1880; he was 76. Occupation: Rector of Camerton, Somerset; Vicar of Offchurch, Warwickshire. Education: Westminster; St John’s College, Cambridge.
On 21 Oct 1839 when Wilfred Lawson was 36, he married Marianne Wightwick KNIGHTLEY, daughter of John Wightwick KNIGHTLEY & Jane MUSGRAVE. Born on 26 May 1807. Marianne Wightwick died on 18 Dec 1893; she was 86. Buried in Offchurch, Warwickshire.
They had no children.

Wilfred Lawson Jarrett was named after Sir Wilfred Lawson Bart of Brayton, Cumbria, a family friend.

WJK: “At St John’s College, Cambridge, [Wilfred Lawson Jarrett] took his B.A. and M.A. degrees and entered Holy Orders. ... In October 1839 he married Marianne Wightwick Knightley, daughter of J.W. Knightley Esq of The Bury, Offchurch”27 in Warwickshire. The next year, he succeeded the Rev. John Skinner as Rector of Camerton, after Skinner committed suicide, and stayed at Camerton until 1849. After a brief stint as Vicar of Beckington, Cambridgeshire, he was appointed Vicar of Offchurch in 1850, and there he stayed for the rest of his life.

He seems to have been a good vicar of the old-fashioned paternalistic sort, carrying out the usual mid-Victorian “restorations” of the parish church at Offchurch, and clearly popular with his parishioners. WJK quotes the following from a brief history of the church by the parish clerk, Mr Richard Hackett:

“When the Rev. W.L. Jarrett was appointed to the Cure in 1850, on coming to the parish, he, together with Mrs Jarrett, who is a member of The Bury family, was received by the parishioners with every mark of respect and pleasure; all the inhabitants of the village and parish thronging out to welcome the arrival of the new Vicar and his lady, and this rejoicing was justified by the event, for, as a pastor, the Rev. W.L. Jarrett will long be remembered in this parish.

“For the sick and sorrowful he always had a cheering and comforting word, truly following his great Master’s example. The poor had in him a ready helper, nor is it too much to say that the Vicarage was ever open to those in need of counsel and assistance.

“It is worthy of mention that the Rev. W.L. Jarrett’s first duty in the Church was performed on Whit Sunday, 1851, and his last on Whit Sunday, 1880. He then, after returning thanks for his recovery from illness, was enabled to read the Epistle and to administer the Cup in the Holy Communion Service. This was the last time he took part in Divine Service, for in less than forty-eight hours he was not, for God had taken him to his rest.

“As on the Rev. W.L. Jarrett’s arrival in 1851, so on the occasion of his funeral, all the parishioners, together with numerous friends and neighbours, assembled; thus unmistakeably testifying that the former confidence with which he had been received had been fully sustained, and judging from the sorrowful countenances of all present, heartfelt regret at his loss was the general feeling.”
31. Mary Ann JARRETT (Herbert Newton2, Herbert Newton1). Born in 1805. Mary Ann died on 27 Sep 1836; she was 31.
On 25 Oct 1830 when Mary Ann was 25, she married John BARNARD. John died on 14 Jul 1851.
They had the following children:
Frederick (1835-1842)

Mary Ann Jarrett’s husband, John Barnard, was a banker - of the bank Barnard, Dimsdales & Barnard, 50 Cornhill, London, which after numerous mergers would eventually become part the National Westminster Bank.

Mary Ann Jarrett was “the unfortunate victim of a melancholy accident. Mr and Mrs Barnard were on a visit at Woolverstone Park [home of her half first cousin, Sarah Berners, née Jarrett] on the morning of the fatal day. Mrs Barnard, while walking with Archdeacon Berners by the churchyard, remarked she would like to be buried there, and pointed out a particular spot.

“That afternoon, Mrs Barnard and her husband went for a sail to Harwich harbour. The boatman most foolishly made fast the sheet of the sail, instead of holding it in his hand as he should have done.

“A sudden squall struck the boat, and the sail being held fast she upset.

“Mrs Barnard had on a long round cloak only fastened at the throat. Mr Barnard and the boatman saw the cloak floating, but did not at first pick it up, but kept looking for Mrs Barnard to rise to the surface. At last, giving up all hope, they made for the cloak and picked it up. To their great horror and grief, they found the body of Mrs Barnard underneath it. Had they only gone to the cloak at once, she would have been saved.

“This sad event took place on 2 September 1836. Mrs Barnard was only in her 32nd year, leaving an affectionate husband and three young children to mourn her loss. Her remains were laid in the very spot where she had that morning expressed the wish to be buried. A memorial tablet is erected to her memory in Erwarton Church, Woolverstone, Suffolk.”
Previous · Next